W-League round-up: Wanderers coast by Reds

The Wanderers put in the most impressive performance in their thumping of the Reds, and who was our player of week?
GOAL.com Indonesia   By TAKU TANEKA


After a convincing Week 7 win at home, Perth Glory hit the road on Saturday mindful of a Brisbane Roar side which had won two games in a row. In warm conditions, the Glory established themselves as early pacemakers. As a reward for the constructive play they consistently created, Kate Gill helped the away side gain ascendency in the 34th minute by latching onto Collette McCallum's corner at the near post. Ten minutes later, Marianna Tabain doubled the Glory's lead when Elisa D'Olidio's shot rebounded off the post into her path for a simple finish. The two-goal buffer remained the lead as both sides went to the interval. Against the Newcastle Jets last week, the Roar showed their aptitude for a comeback as they won 3-2 after trailing 1-0. With the odds against them for the second week in a row, Tameka Butt was introduced to the contest for the second half and the substitution was soon justified. Having sent an early chance straight into the arms of Glory shot-stopper Carly Telford, Butt scored in the 61st minute through a mistake from the shot-stopper. The goal marked a pendulum swing as the home side took the game to the Glory. Ultimately, their never-say-die attitude blossomed in the 87th minute, when neat wing work led to Katrina Gorry's calm equaliser.


Adelaide United visited Campbelltown Stadium to meet the Western Sydney Wanderers with the Reds keen to replicate their only win of the season in Week 1. But their suspect defence, which has leaked 20 goals this campaign, was exposed immediately by Wanderers import midfielder Louise Fors, who put the hosts in front in the sixth minute with a cheeky, quickly-taken free kick. Four minutes later, Sarah Welsh made it clear the Reds were in for a long day when she headed a corner to make the score 2-0. With the run of play favouring the competition newcomers, it was inevitable they would soon add to the score sheet. Putting the gloss on a clinical first-half display was Matildas regular Servet Uzunlar, who scored in the 40th minute to make it 3-0. To their credit, Adelaide returned after the break with a clear show of intent to salvage responsibility and pride. Unfortunately, with few chances at their disposal, the visitors failed to do so. The result was sealed in the 67th minute when, following outstanding lead-up work from playmaker Catherine Canulli, Fors netted her second to conclude the match 4-0.


Scorching 37 degree heat was on hand to greet Sydney FC - unbeaten since Week 6 - as they travelled away to Melbourne Victory. The fixture between the traditional rivals, often inclusive of enterprising play and goals, immediately appeared destined to follow that storyline. Just four minutes into the game, key Sydney FC figure Emma Kete played the ball wide to Caitlin Foord, who attempted to cross the ball but instead, rather luckily, found the back of the net. That stroke of fortune turned out to be her only one for the afternoon. In the 18th minute, a corked leg forced Foord to leave the field, with the Matilda replaced by Samantha Kerr. Victory then gained ascendency and in the 27th minute they turned their momentum into a goal. Maika Ruyter-Hooley pounced on a corner from team-mate Petra Larsson and put a header past Sydney FC goalkeeper Shamiran Kamis. With the match proving to be an even contest, Victory were unlucky to not hit the lead just before half-time when Petra Larsson hit the post from a long-range effort. The warm conditions saw the high-tempo pace of the first half significantly deteriorate in the second, as both camps struggled for any real fluency. Both sides did have chances to go in front but could not capitalise, as Victory's Amy Jackson missed the target from inside the box in the 60th minute and Sydney FC's Kete shot straight at goalkeeper Brianna Davey soon afterwards. Ultimately, a draw was a fair result.


Following their Week 6 match against Perth Glory - played on December 5 after being rescheduled - Canberra United hosted W-League strugglers Newcastle Jets after a short two-day turnaround. Canberra were in control throughout the first half but it took until the 34th minute for an opening to be seized. Eventually, it was defender Nicole Sykes who broke the deadlock.  She scored her maiden W-League goal with an amazing individual effort that saw her out-pace and out-manoeuvre numerous defenders. Up until the interval, the reigning premiers continued to create chances but wasted opportunities in front of goal, leaving the Jets to enter the break lucky to be a goal down. Hopes of a change of fortune for the Jets after half-time came to little. Instead, it was Canberra who returned firing and enthusiastic to put the game beyond doubt. Michelle Heyman was the recipient of their first chance to do so as she broke clear of the defence, but Newcastle's goalkeeper Eliza Campbell raced off her line to shut down the opportunity. Moments afterwards, Hayley Raso was put through on goal courtesy of a tidy flick-on from Caitlin Munoz only to sky her attempt. Having received a yellow card caution earlier in the match, Newcastle midfielder Emily Van Egmond - formerly of Canberra - was sent off for another suspect challenge in the 64th minute. Left with ten players for the final 26 minutes, the Jets were unable to score an equaliser but defended stoutly for the game to conclude just 1-0.


Louise Fors, 23, was at her creative best for Western Sydney Wanderers on Saturday against Adelaide United. Her runs were incisive, her vision was first-class and her passes were well measured. To round out her near-perfect day in the sunshine Fors - a Sweden international - scored two goals en route to being the driving force behind the tremendous home victory for the competition newcomers.

Goal Australia has its own and account, so for all the latest news and features on Australian and world football follow us by clicking on the above links.