The national team boss did not hesitate in including the two midfielders despite mixed fortunes in the second half of the 2013-14 campaignAnge Postecoglou claims Mark Bresciano has played enough football to warrant his inclusion in Australia's World Cup squad but did admit Tom Rogic's form and fitness has not be good enough.
Bresciano, 34, sat out four months of the season for club side Al Gharafa due to a FIFA-imposed ban over an illegal transfer, only returning to action in late March.
Nevertheless, the gifted midfielder is one of the few members of Australia's so-called 'golden generation' to survive the new head coach's cull, with Tim Cahill, Josh Kennedy and Luke Wilkshire the other elder statesman named in Wednesday's 30-man provisional training squad.
"Mark's played the five or six games since his suspension (ended)," Postecoglou said.
"Obviously had it not been for the suspension, he would have played the whole season, so it wasn't form or fitness that kept him out.
"I still think he fits that criteria. His form's been strong in the last month in Qatar. And from my perspective he's still in good enough condition and fitness to play a key role for us."
Rogic, hailed as the next big thing in Australian football, has struggled since moving to Celtic in January 2013, and endured a disappointing, injury-hit loan spell at Melbourne Victory in the second half of the A-League campaign.
"Tommy Rogic, obviously he's had a disrupted build-up," Postecoglou said.
"He hasn't really shown the form or fitness, but the other criteria (for selection) was an eye for the future. And there's no doubt that Tommy is one that we believe has some outstanding potential to be a good national team player.
"He's been doing some work with Les Gelis our physio for the last week and prior to that with Melbourne Victory. He's pretty much almost at 100 percent to train now so we'll monitor that over the next week or so and he's got to prove it."