The marquee midfielder will return to Japan at the end of the 2013-14 campaign to re-join his family after a successful stint in the A-League
The 34-year-old Western Sydney Wanderers midfielder has accepted an offer to join Japanese second division club Consadole Sapporo.
Ono has grown homesick recently as his wife and children remain in Japan and he is eager to return home to be closer with his family.
He will see out the A-League season and also play until the group stage of Western Sydney's Asian Champions League campaign.
His departure comes just a fortnight after Wanderers coach Tony Popovic angrily denied Ono was considered quitting.
"Wherever it's coming from, I haven't heard that," he said.
"I haven't needed to speak to Shinji about it.
"We're clear on where we're heading and Shinji's fine. You saw how he played on the weekend. He's in a very good place and there's nothing for us to worry about."
But Western Sydney confirmed his pending departure in a statement released Thursday.
Ono signed as the Wanderers inaugural marquee player in September 2012, and has since score nine times in 33 matches.
He played an influential role in the Wanderers claiming the A-League premiership in their maiden season last year.
Wanderers chairman Lyall Gorman said his club would forever cherish Ono's stint in Australia.
"Shinji Ono will forever be remembered in our club folklore and on behalf of the entire Wanderers family we look forward to making the final months of his time in Australia with the Wanderers a memorable one," Gorman said.
"He will always be a part of the Wanderers family and story as history records it over time. We wish him every success in his return to his homeland and thank him for his incredible contribution to our club's birth and journey thus far."
Ono will front a media conference at Blacktown on Friday afternoon.