thumbnail Hello,

After fittingly beating former side Brisbane Roar in his last game before taking the helm of the Socceroos, Ange Postecoglou admitted he was uneasy about leaving the Victory.

Ange Postecoglou has revealed he regrets not being able to complete his project with Melbourne Victory after accepting the position of Socceroos head coach on Wednesday.
 
Postecoglou led Victory for the final time on Friday night as Melbourne clinched their first win of the 2013/14 season, accounting for their coach's other former A-League club Brisbane Roar 1-0.
 
While Postecoglou reiterated his confidence that he has left Victory in better shape than when he arrived in April last year, the 48-year-old effectively apologised to the club for leaving them halfway through a three-year contract and just three rounds into the new campaign.
 
"Unfortunately, because of my circumstances, this football club had to deal with things that it shouldn't have had to (this week), all surrounding me," an emotional Postecoglou said after the game.
 
"Ahead of such a big game, I tried to sort of shield the players and the staff from it but it's been unfair that this has happened to them during this week.
 
"So for the players to respond the way they did tonight - you know, the staff were magnificent during the week - the fact that, against a good team, we could win, play well, is a great testament to the character of the people within the club."
 
Assistant coach Kevin Muscat is widely tipped to replace Postecoglou as Melbourne's boss with the announcement expected to be made in the coming week.
 
While the outgoing coach spoke with a clear sense of excitement about his new challenge to rebuild Australia's national team, he did not shy away from what he was leaving behind at his hometown club, which he claims is the biggest in the country.
 
"Whenever you're given an opportunity like that, you want to repay that and I don't think I have, you know, leaving at this point," Postecoglou said.
 
"I still feel the club is in great shape...but you kinda leave thinking you should have put more into it and seen it through."
 
In a tight contest at Etihad Stadium, Victory triumphed thanks to James Troisi's pinpoint strike from a tight angle soon after halftime.
 
While the Roar had more possession (57.3 percent) and matched Melbourne's tally of 12 shots, Postecoglou was adamant his team deserved the three points.
 
"We were on top for most of the game and really we should have had two or three (goals)," Postecoglou said.
 
"We had some fantastic chances to bury them.
 
"So yeah, they had their moments, but I thought we worked really hard in the first half to disrupt any sort of rhythm for them and I don't think they got into any rhythm."

Meanwhile, Roar coach Mike Mulvey  defended his decision not to sign another striker in preseason as his team struggled without Besart Berisha in their 1-0 loss to Melbourne Victory.

Berisha missed Friday night's A-League clash at Etihad Stadium due to a hamstring strain he suffered in Brisbane's 4-0 triumph over Sydney FC last week, with Mulvey selecting Kwame Yeboah up front against the Victory.
 
Yeboah battled hard as the Roar's lone striker as Melbourne dominated the opening half hour, while the 19-year-old was also involved in a couple of decent chances just before half-time as Brisbane got back into the match.
 
Mulvey's other main striking option, Henrique, came off the bench in the second half but despite having more possession and taking the same number of shots as Melbourne, Brisbane failed to score.
 
When Mulvey was appointed as Brisbane's head coach in December last year the Manchester-born manager claimed he wanted to sign another striker to challenge Berisha and cover the Albanian if he was injured.
 
After two transfer windows, Mulvey has yet to follow through but argued after the loss to Victory that he is happy with his stocks in the number nine, or central striker, position.
 
"The salary cap restricts you, so what are you going to do? Do you go and spend big money on someone who's going to sit on the bench?" Mulvey said.
 
"In our system, we're not going to bring in another striker to play as a dual striker. So do you spend a lot of money on someone who's going to sit on the bench? Or do you try and nurture somebody from within?
 
"Now my belief is Henrique is a long way away from being fully fit but he's capable of playing in the number nine position for us because he gets on the shoulder of people and he got into a couple of great positions tonight but his touch let him down.
 
"Kwame's a young kid, who is learning his trade and that's probably his best position, number nine.
 
"So, while we were a little bit toothless in terms of our thrust in the final third, I was really pleased with the boys (against Melbourne)."
 
The Roar have a 10-day break until their Round Four clash in Brisbane against Melbourne Heart and Mulvey hinted Berisha may be ready for that game.
 
"We're not going to rush him. I've told him he must come back 100 percent fit," Mulvey said.
 
"He's doing everything humanly possible to get himself fit.
 
"He's phoning doctors in Germany to find out if there's any miracle cure for a hamstring strain."


Goal Australia now has its own and account, so for all the latest news and features on Australian football follow us by clicking on the above links

Related

From the web