thumbnail Hello,

Melbourne Victory are disappointed with the way FFA have handled the poaching of their coach Ange Postecoglou

Melbourne Victory have slammed Football Federation Australia for its part in luring coach Ange Postecoglou away from the A-League powerhouse to the Socceroos.

Victory chairman Anthony Di Pietro released a statement on Wednesday morning, claiming FFA had forced the club's hand to release the coach they fought so hard to wrench from Brisbane Roar on a three-year contract in April last year.

Postecoglou is set to be revealed as the new Socceroos boss in Sydney later on Wednesday.

"The circumstances that Ange and the club have been confronted with are complex and compelling no matter what perspective you take. That said, we have made it clear to Ange that we will not stand in the way of him accepting the biggest coaching role in this country," Di Pietro said.

"However, we are disappointed with the process undertaken by the FFA, given the outcomes we tried to secure could never have been achieved within the timeframes offered, which ultimately forced us to accelerate our decision not to stand in Ange's way."

Di Pietro moved to hail Postecoglou's influence on the AAMI Park outfit in his shorter-than-expected tenure at the club, while confirming he would take the reins for the Victory for one last time on Friday night against his old club Brisbane at Etihad Stadium.

"Ange Postecoglou has had a profound impact on Melbourne Victory Football Club over the past 18 months and the club is extremely appreciative of everything he has implemented during his tenure," he said.

"Ange's appointment as Socceroos coach is a fantastic endorsement for our club, its culture and the standards we strive to set. We thank Ange and he will certainly always be part of the Melbourne Victory family.

"This week's game becomes our focus and we can confirm that Ange will be the head coach on Friday, so we're looking forward to our members and fans coming out in force."

Related

From the web