Terry Antonis appears set to depart the Sky Blues amid interest from Parma, but Sydney FC say he is still a contracted player - for now
|By PADDY HIGGS
Chief editor - Australia
Terry Antonis remains a Sydney FC player for now, despite reports he had joined Italian club Parma on four-year deal.
The promising midfielder's minimum release fee was said to have been met by the Serie A club, with the 19-year-old subsequently signing a long-term contract to depart the Sky Blues.
But a Sydney FC spokesman denied to Goal Australia that Antonis' move had been confirmed, saying he remained in Parma on trial with the club's blessing but was still a Sky Blues player.
Talking to The World Game on Monday, thrice-capped Australia international Antonis said: "It's always been my dream to play in Serie A and I couldn't be happier.
"It's a fantastic set up over here and a huge opportunity for me to further my career.
"To be joining the same club that Vince Grella and Mark Bresciano played for is a privilege. I hope I can taste some of the success they enjoyed in Italy.
"It's a club with great tradition and hopefully I can take my game to another level here and add to my football education."
Antonis is also believed to be interesting Eredivisie side FC Utrecht, who already have countrymen Tommy Oar, Michael Zullo and Adam Sarota on their books.
Sydney FC have also denied they will travel to Japan in July for a friendly with J.League Division 1 club Sagan Tosu.
With Sky Blues marquee Alessandro Del Piero a popular figure in Asia, reports in Japan had linked the club with a match against the second-tier outfit on July 24.
But the club spokesman said there had been no talks on a friendly in Japan, with Del Piero likely to be involved in the A-League All Stars' match against visiting English Premier League side Manchester United four days earlier.