In an increasingly dramatic week for the Adelaide United since their season finished, interim coach Michael Valkanis has revealed he will not nominate for the full-time role
|By MICHAEL HUGUENIN
Michael Valkanis has confirmed he will not apply for Adelaide United's head-coach position, although he wants to remain at the club.
The 38-year-old former Adelaide United defender has been the Reds' interim head coach since John Kosmina quit in late January, but is only interested in being the club's assistant coach next season.
Valkanis led Adelaide in 10 matches, including Sunday's 2-1 loss to Brisbane Roar to be eliminated from the A-League finals, but argued he was never seriously interested in taking on the head role full time.
"As I have said numerous times previously, I accepted the position only because of the sudden resignation of the previous coach and I was asked to step in and fill the role for the remainder of the season, which I have done," Valkanis said in a written statement released by Adelaide United on Wednesday.
"The last couple of months have been a great learning experience and a challenge which I enjoyed immensely, however I was and remain content to be an assistant coach and to spend time improving and learning under a senior coach, so for me that position has not changed."
Adelaide United chairman Greg Griffin accepted Valkanis' decision, while also thanking the interim boss for his work to finish the A-League season.
"On behalf of the club we would like to express our appreciation to Michael for helping the club under sudden and difficult circumstances," Griffin said.
Valkanis' decision came as Adelaide United began their 2012-13 season review, with disgruntled captain Eugene Galekovic and veteran full-back Cassio meeting with the club's board.
Adelaide had been in the top-two positions on the A-League ladder from the opening week until Round 18, but eventually stuttered to fourth following Kosmina's departure before their elimination at the hands of Brisbane.
The disappointing finish to the season prompted Galekovic to slam the club for not allowing "football people" to make decisions relating to on-pitch issues.
But after meeting with Adelaide's board, Galekovic claimed they understood his position, while he reiterated his commitment to improving the club's culture.
"I said what I said because I care about this club, I want it to move forward," Galekovic said.
"Things were said because I want to improve the culture.
"The board understood where I was coming from but, like I said, the No.1 thing is about this club and trying to improve it."
Former Adelaide City striker Damian Mori is one name linked to the vacant Reds role, having announced his interest to Goal Australia in March.