thumbnail Hello,

Newcastle Jets missed tactics target, says coach Gary van Egmond

Newcastle Jets coach Gary van Egmond believes his side's failure to adhere to tactics early in their match with Melbourne Victory was key to the result

GOAL.com Indonesia   By MICHAEL HUGUENIN


A failure to stick to pre-game tactics against was the main reason for the Newcastle's capitulation to Melbourne Victory, believes Jets coach Gary van Egmond.

The Jets' struggles were particularly evident in the opening 15 minutes of Saturday's 5-0 loss to Victory, with two goals scored by the hosts at AAMI Park and one disallowed.

In a frank post-match interview, Van Egmond conceded that his team pushed too far up the pitch, which allowed Melbourne's speedy forwards Archie Thompson, Marco Rojas and Connor Pain too much space, and the Jets boss made it clear his players had not done as he had instructed.

"We just defended too high and that was what we discussed, we didn't want to defend that high and we wanted to defend deeper but the defensive line was way too high," Van Egmond said on Sunday.

"You can't defend that high when you've got [opposition] players getting that much time.

"If you're going to defend that high, you've got to be, obviously, pressing higher up the park.

"But that wasn't the plan. The plan was to start to put pressure on more at the D or at halfway.

"And the wide players weren't to get involved until it got to the halfway point and unfortunately that didn't get carried out."

Van Egmond did not have any complaints for the two penalties conceded by Taylor Regan, which saw the Jets central defender sent off for two bookable offences, and revealed he had already decided who would replace the 24-year-old against Perth Glory this ?.

"Connor Chapman will play for sure," Van Egmond said.

Veteran forwards Emile Heskey and Michael Bridges will also return to the Jets' starting line-up against Glory, having been rested in Melbourne as Newcastle complete three games in 10 days.

Melbourne Victory coach Ange Postecoglou, meanwhile, praised his side's "dangerous" attack after their thumping win.

A brace from Rojas, two Mark Milligan penalties and an Adrian Leijer header helped the Victory avoid a club record fourth-straight A-League loss.

Postecoglou said his team recaptured some of their form from earlier in the campaign, when they caused opponents real problems in the attacking third.

"We just looked a lot more threatening going forward like we had for most of the year," he said.

"When we were playing well, we look very dangerous going forward. I thought today, particularly in the first half, every time we went up we looked like we were going to score a goal.

"Our intent was very positive and the players felt very good about it so I guess that's the key thing.

"When we play well, we're a dangerous team and we're always threatening oppositions.

"I thought that was really evident, particularly in the first half-hour today."

Goal Australia has its own and account, so for all the latest news and features on Australian football follow us by clicking on the above links

Related