The FFA CEO remains hopeful A-League clubs would chase Beckham, despite claims from Beckham's camp that the player had 'no plans' for a move to Australia
|By DAMIEN SOUNESS and PADDY HIGGS
Football Federation Australia chief executive officer David Gallop remains hopeful of luring David Beckham to the A-League.
Speculation exploded in Australia on Friday that the former England captain and Manchester United midfielder, 37, could be set for a move to the A-League.
A statement from the FFA earlier in the day claimed representatives of the Los Angeles Galaxy midfielder had made contact in a bid to explore a move to the A-League, either as a guest player for a 10-game stint or potentially for longer.
A spokesman from Beckham's camp then told Sky UK the player had "no plans" to move to in Australia.
But Gallop told Fox Sports he had talked directly to Beckham's agent earlier in the day, and that a move by A-League clubs for the player's signature would be both encouraged and supported.
"I spoke to the player's agent today and said to him that it would be fantastic," Gallop said.
"But there are some hoops that would have to be jumped through.
"The league doesn't employ players, so the clubs need to come forward and be the first point of contact.
"The league can certainly assist in some respects, but I think what we're talking about at this stage is a guest stint, from the transfer window opening in mid-January, for 10 games.
"It would be fantastic, but we're not getting ahead of ourselves at this point."
More on Beckham's future could be revealed when he fronts the press at a Galaxy training session on Friday, with Los Angeles just 90 minutes from making their second-straight MLS Cup final.