The game's governing body in Australia has claimed contact with Beckham's representatives, but a spokesman for the player has denied contact
|By PADDY HIGGS
Chief Editor | Goal Australia
Representatives for David Beckham have denied any contact with Football Federation Australia over a move to the A-League, despite claims to the contrary.
Speculation arose on Friday that former England captain and Manchester United midfielder Beckham, 37, could be on his way to the A-League.
Reports were unclear if the move would be in the form of a 10-match guest contract or longer. Beckham signed a two-year contract extension at Galaxy in January, but it is possible the deal includes an exit clause after the first season.
It prompted the FFA to issue a statement later in the day, claiming contact had been initiated by an agent representing Beckham, who is part of a Los Angeles Galaxy team on the brink of a second-consecutive MLS Cup appearance
"The approach from David Beckham's people is another sign of how much the Hyundai A-League has grown in stature on a global basis," an FFA spokesman said in the statement.
"Beckham is superstar on the world stage and he would be another massive signing for the Hyundai A-League after the arrivals of Alessandro Del Piero, Emile Heskey and Shinji Ono. But this approach remains at a very preliminary stage."
But a representative of the Beckham camp later denied the player had any plans to play in Australia: "David is completely focused on the MLS play offs and winning another Championship with the Galaxy," the spokesman told Sky UK.
"[There is] always enormous interest from clubs across world in signing David… [there are] absolutely no plans to play in Australia."
Despite the denial, speculation has already begun on where Beckham could fit in, with the FFA believed to be open to offering financial assistance to clubs to ensure a deal is agreed.
The FFA-owned Western Sydney Wanderers appears among the frontrunners, while Perth Glory have already announced they would be open to investigating a move for the high-profile Englishman.
"We are always happy to speak to players of the calibre of David Beckham, who would be great for the Hyundai A-League as illustrated by the effect of Alessandro Del Piero, Emile Heskey and Shinji Ono," Glory chief executive Paul Kelly said via statement.
"At the end of the day it’s the coach, Ian Ferguson who makes these decisions and we as a club, have a process that we follow when recruiting players.
"But we would be mad not to seriously consider David Beckham."
Melbourne Victory, however, will not enter the market for Beckham, with coach Ange Postecoglou telling reporters on Friday: "That's great if he is [interested in coming to the A-League]. Would we be interested? No."
A title winner at Real Madrid and AC Milan, Beckham has played in Australia on three occasions before, expressing an willingness after his last match - against Melbourne Victory in December 2011 - of playing in the A-League at some stage in his career.
He is likely to field questions on his future when he fronts the press at the Galaxy's training session on Friday [local time].