thumbnail Hello,

The veteran duo depart the club, in the first changes under Victory's new coach. Brebner's stint ends after six seasons, while Covic made an impact in his single campaign

The Ange Postecoglou era has begun at Melbourne Victory, with long-time midfielder Grant Brebner and newly crowned player of the year Ante Covic released after the expiry of their contracts.

In a statement released on Tuesday, Victory revealed the two veterans would be leaving the club, in the first squad changes since new coach Postecoglou took over on April 26.

Talking to reporters earlier in the day, Postecoglou had cast doubt on the future of goalkeeper Covic, with fellow shot-stoppers Tando Velaphi and Lawrence Thomas already tied to the club for the 2012-13 A-League season.

Former Australia international Covic, 36, joined Victory just days before the start of the 2011-12 season, proving a composed presence in goal for the club.

"I was pretty happy with my season last year and was hopeful of getting another contract, but sometimes things don’t work out that way in football," Covic said.

Scot Brebner, meanwhile, joined Victory in time for the 2006-07 campaign, having spent considerable time at Hibernian and Reading in the United Kingdom before being signed by then-coach Ernie Merrick.

Making 120 appearances for Victory, the 34-year-old battled for fitness in his last season but leaves the club on good terms.

"When I first came out from Scotland it was a bit of a step into the unknown, but six years down the path I've enjoyed plenty of success here and I'm even an Australian citizen now, so it's been a great experience," he said.

"Obviously the trophies we won will forever be the highlight, but I've made a lot of great friends over the years too."

Follow Paddy Higgs on 

Goal Australia has its own and account, so for all the latest news and features on Australian football follow us by clicking on the above links

Related