thumbnail Hello,


  • 14 December 2012
  • • 21:45
  • • nib Stadium, Perth
  • • Attendance: 6967

Perth Glory 3-0 Newcastle Jets: Dodd brace sinks Jets

Perth Glory 3-0 Newcastle Jets: Dodd brace sinks Jets


Two goals to Travis Dodd has seen the Perth Glory heap more misery on the Newcastle Jets at nib Stadium on Friday night. Indonesia   By NEIL SHERWIN

A brace from Travis Dodd either side of half time set Perth Glory on their way to a 3-0 win over the Newcastle Jets at nib Stadium on Friday night.

Shane Smeltz was also on target from the penalty spot, firing into the top corner after being brought down by Josh Mitchell in the area.

It was the home side's first win since Round 5 when, coincidentally, they also beat Friday night's opponents.

Glory started well and Smeltz saw an early header from Scott Jamieson's cross deflected wide by Jets defender Josh Mitchell.

However, it was the visitors who hit the target first when James Virgili raced through to a pass from Adam Taggart but the winger's effort was saved by the legs of Danny Vukovic.

From one of a number of corners Glory forced in the opening ten minutes Smeltz again threatened, but he was once more denied by Mitchell who threw his body in the way of a well hit volley.

Vukovic was called into action again on 23 minutes and he put in a strong tackle on Jets marquee Emile Heskey just outside the penalty area.

At other end, Matthew Nash pulled off a superb stop to deny Michael Thwaite's goal bound header from Scott Jamieson's free kick.

Nash saved his side for a second time eight minutes before the interval when he denied Shane Smeltz who found himself one on one with the goalkeeper after nicking the ball away from Tiago Calvano.

Glory finally took the lead right on half time when Dodd pounced on a loose ball from Mitchell Oxborrow to run through and finish low past Nash.

After Jacob Burns had stung the goalkeeper's hands with a long range strike a minute after the restart, Dodd doubled his side's lead as he was left unmarked six yards from goal to head home Liam Miller's cross.

Newcastle threatened on occasion but their finishing lacked conviction, an accusation which couldn't be levelled at Smeltz who made it 3-0 from the penalty spot on 75 minutes.

Ben Williams' decision to award the penalty for a foul by Mitchell on the Kiwi left Jets boss Gary van Egmond raging on the sideline as he felt his defender had played the ball.

The Jets almost pulled one back shortly after but Josh Risdon was well positioned on the goal line to clear Heskey's header from a corner.

The win moves Glory up to fourth spot with three games still to be played this weekend.

Goal Australia now has its own and account, so for all the latest news and features on Australian football follow us by clicking on the above links