thumbnail Hello,


  • 19 January 2013
  • • 22:00
  • • nib Stadium, Perth
  • Referee: R. Queffelec
  • • Attendance: 7603

Perth Glory 0-1 Melbourne Victory: Own-goal decides result

A first-half own goal from Perth defender Scott Jamieson was enough to give Victory their first win in the Western Australian capital since 2009 Indonesia   By KALON HARRISON

Melbourne Victory battled to a 1-0 win over 10-man Perth Glory at nib Stadium in the A-League on Saturday.

The visiting side opened the scoring in the 25th minute through an own-goal from Glory left-back Scott Jamieson after some good build-up play from Marcos Flores and Marco Rojas, the latter crossing the ball into the path of Archie Thompson.

Jamieson could consider himself unlucky, having done well to get in front of Thompson, but his momentum took the ball past Danny Vukovic.

Perth finished a man down after Josh Risdon saw red for what the referee deemed to be a bad tackle on 68 minutes.

It took the away side five minutes to fashion their first chance of the match after dominating possession early on.

After a miskick from Bas van den Brink, Rojas crossed the ball in to the back post, where Thompson was unmarked and forced a top reflex save from Vukovic, with Jacob Burns desperately heading the ball off the line from a scrambled Spase Dilevski shot.

Van den Brink managed to connect with the ball properly to clear the home side's lines.

Dean Heffernan struck the crossbar two minutes later after a corner from Liam Miller as the Glory threatened for the first time.

The midfielder rose highest to head the ball toward goal, only for the woodwork to deny Perth the opener.

The Glory finished the half with a flurry of corners and a Steven McGarry shot from about 35 yards, Victory keeper Nathan Coe forced to parry the strike wide.

The home side started the second half brighter, with Travis Dodd stinging the gloves of Coe with a powerful drive from 20 yards.

Melbourne Victory were willing to sit deep and try to release Thompson and Rojas on the counterattack, with Flores often dropping back to link midfield and attack.

It almost paid off in the 61st minute when Flores played a first-time ball over the top to Thompson, who broke the offside trap and played the ball square to Rojas, but the cross was intercepted just before the New Zealand international could take a shot.

Josh Risdon received his second caution in the 68th minute for what referee Regis Queffelec deemed a studs-up challenge by the full-back.

Replays showed Risdon managed to keep his studs down and also made contact with the ball, suggesting the challenge was arguably not even worthy of a free-kick.

Rojas was then unable to convert his first clear chance after going one-on-one with Vukovic, the home keeper coming off his line and blocking the low shot.

Rojas missed another chance just before the 90th minute, side footing a volley just over the woodwork after the ball was squared by substitute Andrew Nabbout.

Substitute Ryo Nagai had the chance to steal an equaliser for Perth in injury time, when his deflected shot came off the bottom off the crossbar, the ball centimetres from crossing the line.

Goal Australia has its own and account, so for all the latest news and features on Australian football follow us by clicking on the above links