thumbnail Hello,


  • 17 January 2014
  • • 21:45
  • • nib Stadium, Perth
  • Referee: K. Griffiths-Jones
  • • Attendance: 11026

Perth Glory 0-0 Brisbane Roar: 10-man Roar hold Glory

The ladder leaders lost Berisha early on but still managed to earn a share of the spoils in Perth on Friday night.

Perth Glory missed a golden chance to claim three points against a 10-man Brisbane Roar after Besart Berisha was sent off in Friday night's 0-0 draw at nib Stadium.

Berisha was given his marching orders in the 30th minute after receiving his second yellow card of the evening for a crude challenge on Glory defender Michael Thwaite.

The Albanian international, who is infamously remembered for his controversial dive in a 2011 grand final against Perth, was lucky not to have been sent off after just 20 seconds when he jumped into Thwaite's ribs during an aerial contest.

Berisha was fouled by Steven McGarry five minutes later and collapsed to the turf in agony, rolling along the ground for several metres clutching his boot.

It appeared to only be for show as he was soon back on his feet and looking dangerous around goal.

But his night ended on the half-hour mark when he raised a knee into Thwaite and was shown red, much to the delight of the parochial Perth crowd.

Berisha's exit sparked heated scenes on the pitch, with Glory goalkeeper Danny Vukovic and Roar midfielder Liam Miller booked for their involvements in the scuffle.

Despite having an extra man, Glory did not take advantage.

Brisbane midfielder Luke Brattan almost put the visitors in front with a long-range free kick on the cusp on half-time, while Henrique came agonisingly close to finding the top left corner shortly after the resumption.

Glory youngster Jack Clisby, who lost his spot at centre back to former French international William Gallas, executed a brilliant tackle inside the penalty box to deny Thomas Broich early in the second half.

Gallas was a surprise starter for Perth after missing the past seven weeks with a torn calf, but he did not reappear after half-time.

Perth winger Adrian Zahra was booked for a heavy tackle on Matt McKay that left the Socceroo limping for several minutes after.

Broich clutched at his injured thigh several times during the second half, but played out the match and was one of Brisbane's best.

Glory's best chance of the second half came in the 81st minute when substitute Josh Risdon delivered a perfect cross to Zahra in the box, only for the latter to fumble his touch.

Shane Smeltz almost earned a penalty in injury time after being taken down on the edge of the box by Jack Hingert, but the home side was unable to convert from the free kick and had to settle for a point.