Both sides simply cannot afford a loss at this end of the season, while several other clubs will be watching this clash at Hindmarsh Stadium closely.
Elrich, Calvano, Topor-Stanley, Byun
Abbas, Pepper, Zadkovich, Brockie
Watson, Boogard, Levchenko, Cassio
Barbiero, Malik, Usucar, RamsayVidosic, Van Dijk
Adelaide United's trip to Newcastle comes after a demoralising 2-1 loss against Sydney FC on Sunday, which all-but condemned them to a season without finals. United were played off the park in the first half to trail 1-0, but came out in the second and were the better side, finding a goal through local product Fabian Barbiero. Against the Jets, Adelaide will have to take their chances - unlike on Sunday, when Ivan Necevski made numerous saves in the second half.
Adelaide will feel robbed after conceding late on the counter in the second half, but they remain short in defence, with Evgeny Levchenko again filling the left stopper role.
He was done for pace on the deciding goal, scored by Sky Blues youngster Mitch Mallia. Australia Under-23 squad members Daniel Mullen and Antony Golec have not been named, meaning the back four from the last four games will continue.
Bruce Djite will again be on the bench after losing his spot to defensive midfielder Francesco Usucar. It was part of John Kosmina's decision to change his 4-1-2-1-2 midfield diamond to a 4-4-1-1, with Dario Vidosic behind Sergio Van Dijk.
Taylor Regan will start at Hunter Stadium after being substituted in the first half against Perth with stomach cramps. Regan could not continue after vomiting numerous times in the first half.
Newcastle's news this week has been dominated by claims owner Nathan Tinkler overpaid for his license to take over the club.
Newcastle will still be without captain Jobe Wheelhouse (groin injury), though Ben Kantarovski has been named after his return from Australia Under-23 duty.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Newcastle's loss last week was their first in three games.
- Adelaide's Sergio Van Dijk has 49 A-League goals. If he scores again he will join Archie Thompson and Shane Smeltz as the only players to score over 50 goals.
- Captain Eugene Galekovic is the only Adelaide player to start every game this season.
- In Adelaide's last nine home games, just one match has attracted over 10,000 fans
- Adelaide may be kicked out of the AFC Champions League. Cassio was red carded during their last ACL match in 2010, but played in the qualifier against Persipura Jayapura on February 16.