The big-spending Thai treble winners take on the wealthy Chinese champions in a clash where the winner progresses to the Round of 16 in Asian competition
Bunmathan, Kerdkaew, Chutong, Puttan
Kaewprom, Surat Sukha, Jirawat
Zhang Linpeng, Feng Xiaoting, Zheng Zhi, Sun Xiang
Zhao Xuri, Cho Won-Hee
Gao Lin, Muriqui, Jiang Ning
Despite a home victory being enough to progress, Buriram boss Attapol Buspakom has admitted his side's chances of progressing a slim, with his squad both mentally and physically fatigued after a taxing group campaign where they started off with two memorable wins, before three consecutive defeats. Buriram will be without Cameroonian defender Yves Hermann Ekwalla due to suspension.
Star foreign duo Dario Conca and Muriqui are the big story for the Chinese champions Guangzhou, who have previously stated they want to win the ACL. Conca was handed down a nine-game internal suspension by Guangzhou management recently for his behaviour after being replaced in the last matchday, however he has flown to Thailand and could play in this game given the importance of the occasion. Muriqui, the 2011 Chinese Super League MVP, has also flown to Thailand but is battling a thigh problem. Keeper Yang Jun is out suspended.
Guangzhou actually made the trip to Thailand last Wednesday, meaning Friday's 3-1 domestic league loss to Dalian Shide is rather irrelevant, given it was their second-string team.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Buriram have not won in all competitions since April 8, having drawn their past two Thai Premier League (TPL) games and lost their past three in Asia.
- The Thunder Castle achieved a rare treble last term, winning the TPL, FA Cup and League Cup.
- Buriram defeated Guangzhou 2-1 in China earlier in the competition, with Conca roundly criticised for his performance in the game, while Franck Acheampong impressed for the Thai club.
- Guangzhou have signed Borussia Dortmund's Paraguay international striker Lucas Barrios, who is set to arrive in China on June 1, and will be available if they reach the ACL quarter-finals.
- One of the club's imports Conca, Muriqui, Cleo or Paulao will need to make way for Barrios under Chinese rules whereby teams can only have four non-Asian foreigners in their squad.