Team GB - Senegal Preview: The home nations prepare to kick off the Games after 52 years in Olympic exile
Stuart Pearce's side take on the Lions at Old Trafford, with both teams looking to throw down the gauntlet to Group A favourites Uruguay
By Joe Wright
Taylor, Richards, Caulker, Bertrand
Ramsey, Allen, Giggs, Cleverley
Ciss, Souare, P Gueye, Bindia
Konate, Diame, I Gueye, Toure
Team GB have no fresh injury concerns ahead of their opening Group A encounter, with the news that Daniel Sturridge has recovered from meningitis in time for the Games coming as a timely boost for the squad.
Jack Butland is likely to get the nod in goal over Jason Steele after impressing during the second half of his side's 2-0 defeat to Brazil last Friday, while Stuart Pearce is likely to stick with the same outfield XI which started at the Riverside Stadium.
Senegal likewise have a full squad to choose from, with Ibrahima Balde set to lead the line for the Lions after scoring the second goal against Oman to book their place at the Games.
West Ham's Mohamed Diame will anchor the midfield for the African side against a British contingent well known to him following his time in the Premier League with Wigan.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Great Britain are competing in the Men's football tournament this year for the first time since 1962.
- The last time they fielded a side in the competition, the Beatles had not yet released a record.
- Ryan Giggs (pictured right) will captain the side in his first-ever international tournament at the age of 38.
- Coach Stuart Pearce has an impressive record at international youth level, guiding the England U-21s to the 2009 Uefa U-21 Championships.
- Senegal will make their Olympics debut at Old Trafford on Thursday.
- Two African sides have won Gold in this event in the last four Games: Nigeria in 1996, and Cameroon in 2000.
- The Lions have won their last two matches against high-fancied opposition: a 1-0 win over Switzerland followed an impressive 2-0 victory against Spain.
- Senegal reached the quarter-final stage of the 2002 World Cup - only two other African sides have achieved this feat.
|$200 Free Bets For New Customers|
Top 3 Predictions
Great Britain U-23 2-0 Senegal U-23
- 16.12 %
Great Britain U-23 2-1 Senegal U-23
- 12.75 %
Great Britain U-23 3-1 Senegal U-23
- 7.84 %
|Olympic Games (OLY)||27/07/2012||Great Britain U-23 1 - Senegal U-23 1|
|Great Britain U-23|
|05/08/2012||Great Britain U-23 1 - South Korea U-23 1||OLY|
|02/08/2012||Great Britain U-23 1 - Uruguay U-23 0||OLY|
|30/07/2012||Great Britain U-23 3 - UAE U-23 1||OLY|
|27/07/2012||Great Britain U-23 1 - Senegal U-23 1||OLY|
|01/04/2009||Great Britain U-23 0 - France U-21 2||FR|
|-||Khalidou Coulibaly Yero||Striker|