Real Madrid – Bayern Munich Preview: Bavarians eye Champions League final on home soil
Jupp Heynckes’ side are vying to contest in European football’s showpiece occasion for the second time in three years as they head to the Spanish capital holding a slender lead
By Karthick Arvinth
Arbeloa, Pepe, Ramos, Marcelo
Di Maria, Ozil, Ronaldo
Lahm, Boateng, Badstuber, Alaba
Robben, Kroos, Ribery
Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho has the luxury of selecting from a nearly full-strength squad for Wednesday’s Champions League semi-final second leg against Bayern Munich, with only Ricardo Carvalho (thigh) rated as an injury doubt.
Gonzalo Higuain and Kaka could return to the starting line-up for the must-win game, while the Marcelo may be preferred to Fabio Coentrao at left-back.
Bayern Munich coach Jupp Heynckes rested several of his stars for Saturday’s win at Werder Bremen and will play his strongest XI as he looks to build on his side’s 2-1 lead from the first leg.
Influential midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger is set to retain his place in the starting XI, but defenders Daniel Van Buyten (foot) and Breno (knee) are both out.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Real Madrid have a 100 per cent home record in the Champions League this term and have won 10 of their last 11 European games at the Santiago Bernabeu.
- Los Blancos have lost just twice against Bayern Munich in Spain, winning six times and drawing once. Their overall record against German visitors is W17, D3, L2.
- Real Madrid have secured aggregate triumphs in 22 of the 35 European ties in which they have lost the first leg away from home.
- Gonzalo Higuain, Xabi Alonso, Sergio Ramos and Fabio Coentrao will incur a one-match ban with their next bookings.
- Bayern Munich have won just one of their last four away games in the Champions League, but have triumphed in 11 of their last 13 matches in all competitions.
- The Bavarians’ 2-0 victory at Villarreal in the group stages in September was their first success in Spain since 2001. Their record away to La Liga opposition is W5, D4, L9.
- Bayern have recorded home first-leg victories 46 times in Uefa competitions and have triumphed in all but eight ties.
- Philipp Lahm, Holger Badstuber, David Alaba, Jerome Boateng, Toni Kroos, Luiz Gustavo and Thomas Muller will incur a ban with their next bookings.
|$200 Free Bets For New Customers|
Top 3 Predictions
Real Madrid CF 3-1 FC Bayern München
- 21.2 %
Real Madrid CF 2-0 FC Bayern München
- 13.74 %
Real Madrid CF 3-0 FC Bayern München
- 8.68 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||26/04/2012||Real Madrid CF 2 - FC Bayern München 1|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||18/04/2012||FC Bayern München 2 - Real Madrid CF 1|
|Club Friendlies (FRC)||14/08/2010||FC Bayern München 2 - Real Madrid CF 4|
|Real Madrid CF|
|19/12/2013||Real Madrid CF 2 - CD Olímpic de Xàtiva 0||ESPC|
|15/12/2013||Osasuna 2 - Real Madrid CF 2||LIGA|
|11/12/2013||FC Copenhagen 0 - Real Madrid CF 2||UCL|
|08/12/2013||CD Olímpic de Xàtiva 0 - Real Madrid CF 0||ESPC|
|01/12/2013||Real Madrid CF 4 - Valladolid 0||LIGA|
|22||Ángel Di María||Midfielder|