thumbnail Hello,

Premier League

  • 12 May 2014
  • • 00:00
  • • Etihad Stadium, Manchester
  • Referee: M. Atkinson
  • • Attendance: 47300

Manchester City 2–0 West Ham: Nasri & Kompany secure Premier League title

Manuel Pellegrini's side dominated from the first minute as they conquered any lingering nerves to secure their second league title in three seasons with a fine attacking display

Manchester City wrapped up their second Premier League title in three seasons thanks to an impressively calm victory against West Ham at the Etihad Stadium.

By Greg Stobart

They could get used to this. City made hard work of it two years ago but this was more like a procession as they sealed their second title in three seasons.

Even before kick-off, it felt like a day of celebration as supporters turned up with flares, flags...and inflatable bananas.

Samir Nasri and Vincent Kompany scored the goals to seal the title on the day but this is a deserved title for City’s performances throughout a season in which they scored 102 goals and played some exhilarating football.

At full-time, thousands of fans stormed on to the pitch to mob their heroes, while manager Manuel Pellegrini darted down the tunnel to avoid the stampede.

This title victory, on the back of their Capital One Cup, is why Pellegrini was hired to replace Roberto Mancini last summer. And it stands City in good stead to repeat the trick next season.
Manuel Pellegrini's side realistically only needed a point to secure the title and there was no repeat of the final-day drama of two years ago, when Sergio Aguero's last-gasp strike against QPR ensured they became champions of England for the first time in 44 years.

West Ham were simply unable to live with City in a one-sided encounter, and Samir Nasri gave the home side a thoroughly deserved half-time lead at the Etihad Stadium.

Captain Vincent Kompany doubled the advantage early in the second half to ensure the vastly experienced Pellegrini marked his first season in English football by winning both the Premier League and the Capital One Cup.

City's final-day victory ensured they won 17 out of 19 league games at fortress Etihad Stadium this season and took their goal tally to an outstanding 102 in the top flight during a superb debut season at the helm for their Chilean manager.

West Ham boss Sam Allardyce had stated his intention to spoil the City party, but that never looked like happening and Liverpool's 2-1 victory over Newcastle United ensured that City ultimately won the title by two points.

Despite the obvious tension around the ground, City - who welcomed leading scorer Aguero back from injury - were brimming with confidence after four consecutive victories and wasted no time in stamping their authority on the game.

Pellegrini's side had already beaten West Ham three times this season, including a 6-0 hammering in the Capital One Cup semi-final first leg, and David Silva spurned a chance to give them an early lead when he volleyed over the crossbar at the back post 10 minutes in.

The marauding Pablo Zabaleta then went down under a challenge from Mohamed Diame, but referee Martin Atkinson waved play on as City dominated.

News of Newcastle United opening the scoring at Anfield filtered through to the City fans and Aleksandar Kolarov almost raised the decibel level further when his venomous left-foot strike from long range was tipped over by Adrian.

West Ham sat deep and were proving difficult to break down, but showed no attacking threat of their own and rarely got out of their own half.

And it came as no surprise when Nasri opened the scoring six minutes before the break.

The France midfielder was afforded too much space 20 yards from goal and made West Ham pay, as Adrian failed to keep out a right-footed strike that nestled just inside the far post.

Any nerves City may still have had were eased just four minutes after the break, when Edin Dzeko tried to bring down Nasri's corner and the ball fell kindly for Kompany, who fired home from just six yards.

Pellegrini punched the air in delight and jubilant City fans marked their captain's strike with their now-familiar 'Poznan' backs-to-the-pitch celebration.

Liverpool turned their match on its head when Daniel Agger and Daniel Sturridge converted Steven Gerrard free kicks, but City carried on regardless; David Silva's goal-bound effort was deflected wide.

The impressive Zabaleta then provided a golden opportunity for Argentina team-mate Aguero to make it even more comfortable 67 minutes in, but the former Atletico Madrid man failed to get a decent contact on the ball from close range and the ball bounced back to a grateful Adrian.

The Spanish keeper then got down well to deny Nasri as City pressed for a third goal that would have equalled Chelsea's record of 103 Premier League goals in a season.

Yaya Toure was withdrawn late on with a hamstring injury while Aguero and Hammers midfielder Mark Noble were both booked for a late spat, but that did not dampen the hosts' celebrations.

The supporters whipped up a noisy atmosphere before flooding onto the pitch at the final whistle, which confirmed a second Premier League title in three years and City's second trophy of the season.